Thursday, November 12, 2009

Mahive Mumbai, My Love Mumbai!

My friend's parents dropped me at the station, their hospitality never ended even until the last possible second. After anxiously awaiting for the 3 and a half hour train to reach Mumbai. I thought that Bittu might have trouble seeing me at the train station, since after nearly 6 weeks I felt like I fit in and didn't notice any of the stares; oh, and the fact that my extremely fair skin has since tanned (not really, but I can always pretend right?). It was a good thing that I spotted him right away, maybe it was the other way around, it's really that important :).

The next 3 days flashed by so quickly that I had hardly any idea that I was leaving India so soon. The family took me around, I saw my good friend Neel's family's flat, Bandra and the infamous laundry slums, Dobi Ghats. I saw a very high profile Hindu temple that was packed (even though it was an off day) with people to bring offerings. Apparently around exam times it takes hours to pass through the long lines. Many of the temples in India start with a simple shrine or stone that is regarded to have spirital properties, and then bigger and bigger structures are built around expanding the existing structure well beyond its original size.

I think Dobi Ghats was my favorite, because most people stand a very safe distance away and snap pictures on the overlooking bridge. Knowing me, this wasn't enough, and there is not anything wrong with trying to enter. Bittu went up and asked them, while switching into the local language and accent pretending to be a kid from the neighborhood. They said 100 rupees and let us in. All of the people in Dobi Ghats many years ago put their money together to buy the cement wash basins that they do a good portion of the city's laundry in. So many people were friendly and excited to have a picture snapped of them, and I am always sure to ask 'acha', which means good in Hindi when I show them the picture. Bittu got a lot of attention from people wanting to partner with him to set up a tour guide racket for foreigners; he caught all of the comments about how smart he was for bringing me and how much I must of paid him, one father told his son not to do laundry and follow my friend's example. I had no idea any of this was being mentioned until after, but smiled nevertheless as I interacted with people, snapped pictures, squeezed around tubs and machines. No piece of clothing is ever lost, and the whites are bleached by the sun atop the houses on clotheslines.

I am thankful to have such amazing people to show me around and get a better taste for the places I have visited. I felt as if I was a part of so many families, but most noteably in Pune and Mumbai. I never once felt alone nor timid to keep continuing onwards. I had mixed feelings as the trip in India ended, excitement for going to Italy and returning home, and a strong desire to experience more. My entourage dropped me at the airport with enough time to make it through the rigorous security in Mumbai's airport and jet off once again.

I am currently in Senigallia, Marche, Italia eating homemade tiramisu about to have a fresh espresso and make my way to Ancona for the day. I am very happy, cold, and recovering my Italian language skills very slowly. Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment