Monday, November 23, 2009

Finish Line: Minneapolis

This is it! My last and final post on this travel blog. Somehow this trip turned into an around the world venture without meaning to do so. I didn't book most of it in advance, and stumbled my way around until I reached the Midwest again.

There are always strange feelings at the end of a journey, because there are many changes along the way, but none of them as grand as the finish. I must admit that I am not entirely sure what is in store for me next, but I do know that I have learned a tremendous amount. More than could ever be written or described all in one go. I woke up this morning in my own bed trying to remember if everything really did happen or if it was just a long dream, like the ending of a poorly written Hollywood film.

I am sure everyone hears about a phenomenon they call "culture shock" and "reverse culture shock". I was lucky enough to understand what things in Asia shocked me and coped with them exceedingly well. Now I am not sure what things will or will not shock me, but I am excited to find out, maybe this will be the steepest learning curve to understanding my own background. I have heard many many times that by traveling you learn the most about where you are from, because after all it is the main reference to which we make our constant comparisons on our first and continued travels.

I was somehow expecting to be mugged in Chicago, because I thought that the irony would be overwhelming. I had managed to travel many poverty stricken countries in Asia without having even one thing picked off of me and made it nearly home. But my lucky streak has prevailed. I had stopped in Chicago to save a bit of money on my flight, visit some friends, sight see a bit in my own country and take a couple days to adjust. It was incredibly strange being able to understand everyone around me while riding the El or walking around the loop, so much so, that I found myself making a trip to Chinatown. In the midst of traditional Chinese characters, Cantonese, and all the restaurants I had found a place that seemed like a mix of China and Chicago.

I had the warmest welcome home ever, my dad picked me up at the Megabus stop and we made it to the front door. I knocked and got the dog excited, but he stopped barking when I started calling 'Escher'. He seemed extremely confused and realized it was my dad, wagged his tail... And then somehow it hit him who I was. I have never ever heard such a noise from any dog in my life. His whole body froze and he did this shrieking-squealing thing for a whole minute. I was pretty sure I had just given my dog a heart attack. He had done all of this while peeing himself and took him five minutes to calm down a bit. I must say it is nice to feel so loved and missed. I don't think anyone else will pee themselves since I am home, I should hope not, it might be kind of awkward....

I am home now and if anyone wants or needs any help with trying to figure out any travel to anywhere I have been, definitely let me know. I am more than willing to explain essential logistics, accommodation, sights and what else if I have not already done so in my blog. I was probably along the lowest ends of the price scale, so if you can imagine how rough some of the travels were. I left out a lot of details about the cockroaches, rats outside restaurants and grotesque things I thought might make people a little uncomfortable or downright sick. (I am pretty surprised at how clean Italy and the U.S.A. are). But I am sure I can give some good advice--the best always comes from fellow travelers, not guidebooks.

I hope that everyone enjoyed sharing a small piece of my experience along the way. Please let me know if you any questions, want to meet up, or if there is something you are just dying to know. I will be posting pictures to a flickr account in the next week, but in the meanwhile I will dissolve the email list. This is my final post and I am a bit sad it is all over. Thank you for all the support.

No comments:

Post a Comment