Friday, November 20, 2009

Italia

Since I was all finished with India and I wanted a quick respite before returning to the states, a gentle easing back into Minnesotan culture (yes there is a culture in the midwest). So I choose Italy, which I have such a soft spot for and I wanted to practice my language skills for a week. The additional ticket cost was marginal, but I have to say there was a quite a shock going from Rupees to Euros...

Italia....
I am not sure that the comparison between Italy and India is a proper one, but I couldn't help myself from making it. Elizabeth Gilbert does it in her widely popular book "Eat, Love, Pray", but the other way around starting in Italy. I arrived expecting to feel like I stood out a bit less and that I could easily sit down at a cafe and wait the last couple hours before my train to Senigallia without much notice from anyone. Instead of fitting in, I stood out even more than I had in Mumbai during my last days in India. I am pretty sure the short pants, large yellow backpack, and numerous bags helped make a target for all the stares at Roma Termini.

I had forgotten how fashionable and glamorous Italians look in all the leather, black jackets and sunglasses; in addition I had forgotten what cold temperatures felt like. I made it to Senigallia after nearly 24 hours of straight travel. Italy was a bit of redemption for me. The months of harsh travel seemed to melt away amongst the mouth watering al dente pasta, wine, gorgeous architecture in every direction, and practicing my rusty (not rustica) Italian. Memories came flashing back from my last visit nearly two years ago, I hadn't realized how much my heart ached for this country, since it stands as a symbol of freedom for me. Italy was my real first global trip out of the United States, and it was equally symbolic for me on my return. By the end of the very short and fun week, I could understand a great deal more Italian and I put on a couple pounds showing my real love for Italian food.

My friend and his family were more than accommodating in every respect and made me feel as if I was a part of the family. I wanted to say that his mom was a wonderful cook (she most definitely is), but in fact the whole family had the same glorious attitude towards food. I have no idea how I have been so lucky or deserving of all the kindness and hospitality I have received in the last year. I just hope my luck does not run out anytime soon, or before I am able to bestow some of the kindness back or forward in return.

I achieved all that I wanted to in Italy. I had a lot of espresso (yum), pasta, pizza, appertivi, gelato, visited Ancona and Roma, and went to a local play production all done in various dialects (I understood maybe 50%). The visit to Italy concluded with a couple days wandering around Rome. I love Rome, and I could wander for weeks without ever getting bored. The city is so vibrant and antique at the same time, not many places in the world retain the old treasures as well as Rome does and moves forward at the same time. I am not sure I was quite ready to leave Italy, I could have spent a bit longer, but my bank account was telling me otherwise and off to Chicago I was.

I am here now in Chicago, visiting for a couple days and being a tourist in my own country. The flight was significantly cheaper, even when I factor in the cheap bus ticket home. I will be home soon.

Another note: Please check out my friend's pictures that he took while we traveled. Some are from other travels, but there are a great deal from Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand. He is an awesome photographer, and the same guy who took all the sand dune pictures that people have commented on. Link---> http://www.flickr.com/biggiebiz

No comments:

Post a Comment